Wednesday, 25 April 2012

Happy Birthday, Romy & Michele

It's been a week of important anniversaries, and I just found out that today is the 15th anniversary of one of my all-time favorite movies, Romy and Michele's High School Reunion. I keep trying to express how much I love this movie but nothing I write seems to adequately capture my feelings, so I'll just say that Romy and Michele are two of the most endearing, hysterical and entertaining characters in comedy history and I just adore them. I love the way they stand up and care for one another and how they've created their own little world together. While the movie itself from an objective/critical stand point is pretty stupid (like duh), it does a brilliant job of capturing the reality and hilarity of the high school experience. The movie is also fabulously quotable and I could practically recite the entire thing. In honor of its anniversary, here are some of my favorite lines/moments...

"Explosions! The earth is moving!" - Romy pretending to have sex with Ramone
"Why don't you go fuck a sheep, or your sister, or yourself." - Heather Mooney to her tormentor
"I am Christie. Masters. Christiansen. Mmmmmm." - Christie Masters smugly introducing herself at the reunion
"Would you excuse me? I cut my foot before and my shoe is filling up with blood." Romy to a guy in a club upon discovering that he is an Armani suit salesman
"They're about to announce the vote, come on!" Toby's hilarious dream sequence appearance, peering in the sun roof of Sandy Frink's limo
"I'm the Mary!"
"What the hell is your problem, Christie? Why the hell are you always such a nasty bitch? I mean, okay, so Michele and I did make up some stupid lie! We only did it because we wanted you to treat us like human beings. But you know what I realized? I don't care if you like us, 'cause we don't like you. You're a bad person with an ugly heart, and we don't give a flying fuck what you think!" - Romy confronting Christie Masters at the reunion (sweet revenge for misfits everywhere!)
And possibly my ultimate favorite: "Do you have a lunch special for business women?" Romy to a very confused diner waitress

I've always envisioned a sequel for Romy and Michele. The movie would have been set around Heather Mooney's wedding to the cowboy and Romy and Michele would have been bridesmaids. How amazing could that potentially be? Though, I guess if it were to be made now, people would think it's a Bridesmaids rip off. On the bright side, Romy and Michele is being written into a Broadway musical!

No comments:

Post a Comment